Table of Contents Hide
- Are you getting paranoid thinking about when to start the training process in the first place?
- Yes, you can resort to litter training in the cage
- Take rightful measures to discourage them from using other spots
- Put applicable restrictions if warranted
- Imbibe a sense of a civilization to your ferret by offering litter training outside the cage
- Don’t punish your sweet little ferret when it commits mistakes
- Adhere to basic rules while giving the litter training to your ferret
- Educate your ferret what the litter box is for
- Exercise due diligence and caution to let them in or out of their cage
- Reinforce the positive behavior by rewarding them
- Do not take occasional accidents very seriously
- Adopt a training method that addresses your requirements and expectations
- Wrapping Up!
Ferrets are well known for their intelligence. This explains why you do not have to be apprehensive about how to litter train a ferret. They are quick learners and you can train them effortlessly.
Like their counterparts, the dogs and cats, they can be housebroken. This happens due to two reasons:
- When you get them litter-trained, it can put you in an advantageous position. For instance, they start spending more time outside their cage. This in turn facilitates more enrichment opportunities. In addition, you will spend more time together.
- It saves you from undertaking a rigorous cleaning regime.
Are you getting paranoid thinking about when to start the training process in the first place?
There is some great news in this regard. You can start the said training when you bring them home for the first time.
It is a wise decision to instill good habits at a young age. They tend to learn quicker and faster.
You do not necessarily have to train at a young age. They are not difficult to train when they are adults.
Yes, you can resort to litter training in the cage
You do not have to find a dedicated place to how to litter train a ferret. You can begin the training right in the cage itself.
For this, you will need to take certain concrete measures like:
- Place boxes in all suitable and available corners of their cage.
- As you get to know their favorite picks, remove the unwanted boxes.
- Secure the boxes appropriately especially concerning the sides around a cage. It will ensure they won’t get tipped over.
- Every time the ferret uses the litter box successfully, reward them as an incentive! The reward in question can be anything:
- With praise and playtime, or
- Their favorite treats.
Take rightful measures to discourage them from using other spots
Yes, undoubtedly you are more than delighted to take every step to make your how to litter train a ferret a great success.
On account of this, it is highly recommended you discourage them from utilizing other spots. To accomplish this objective, you can take steps such as:
- Crowd other corners, and
1. Blankets and toys, or
2. Their water and food for this purpose.
Put applicable restrictions if warranted
Not all ferret owners use similar cages. The methods and techniques you employ to put restrictions will vary depending on the cage you use.
For instance, if you are using a multi-level cage, restrict the use to only one solid level.
You can easily attain this need, by replacing all other levels with hammocks.
Imbibe a sense of a civilization to your ferret by offering litter training outside the cage
This might not be a feasible alternative when your ferret is new to your home. Over time, they won’t be using the cage anymore.
This is the ideal time to offer litter training to the outside world.
Presumably, they will be housed inside a room of the house. Swiftly place litter boxes in every corner of the room.
Ferrets usually consider areas beyond the walls as their corners. This means even furniture with extra corners is taken as corners by them.
This explains why you ought to protect such areas or crowd them with items as you might have done in a cage.
You can even use pee pads to offer perfect protection to less desirable corners.
Keep a tab and watch your ferret’s movements. This will give you an idea about their preferences. The moment you get to know this detail, place a box in that particular spot.
Don’t punish your sweet little ferret when it commits mistakes
Remember, litter training is an entirely new thing for your ferret. As expected, it is bound to commit some mistakes in its journey to learn a new thing
For instance, if you catch it in the wrong spot, there is no point in getting abusive or agitated. Instead, pick it gently and move it to the litter box.
Avoid punishing it in case it eliminates in the wrong spot. If you do not do so, your ferret might get scared of you which does not augur well for the ferret’s overall growth.
During this training phase, there are chances your ferret will go to the bathroom outside the box. In case this happens, clean the area thoroughly and clean the area with help of a pet odor removal cleaner.
Adhere to basic rules while giving the litter training to your ferret
You want soothing outcomes for your initiatives regarding how to litter train a ferret. Well, you can very much make this a reality by adhering to certain basic rules, including:
Give adequate importance to their health: Display how informed and kind you are by giving proper importance to their health.
This is very important as ferrets usually have sensitive respiratory systems. Additionally, they do have this habit of playing and burying themselves in a litter box.
This casts an onus on you to ensure you take the rightful measures in this regard. For example, use unscented elements as these are highly effective in generating a minimal amount of dust.
Trace an acceptable litter: Typically speaking, your ferret’s litter box ought to consist of certain essential items like:
- Wood stove pellets.
- Recycled newspaper pellets.
- Denatured wood litter pellets.
- Alfalfa pellets, and more.
Educate your ferret what the litter box is for
Convey the purpose of the litter box to your ferret cordially. Yes, the entire process does not involve any rocket-science know-how. Instead, it involves taking some straightforward steps like:
- Take a piece of their feces and leave it in the corner of a pan.
- Obtain some of your ferret’s urine and sprinkle the same around the feces.
Please do not forget to use ‘both’ – the urine and the feces. This will give your ferret true meaning where they ought to get rid of their unwanted elements!
Exercise due diligence and caution to let them in or out of their cage
Ferrets are infamous for their short digestive system. This is the only reason they use the bathroom so often.
It is advisable, you give accurate litter training to them appropriately so that you get the most from how to litter train a ferret.
For instance, when your ferret wakes up in the morning, you ought to let them know what is expected from them. To accomplish this purpose, do not let them out of their enclosure or cage. Likewise, take them out only if they have used the litter.
In case they have not used the litter, you can take this initiative:
- Step 1: Take your ferret out of the cage.
- Step 2: Give it its due importance.
- Step 3: Set the critter in the litter, and
- Step 4: Shut the cage door.
Reinforce the positive behavior by rewarding them
Your ferret is a very intelligent animal. They do understand when you are happy and vice-versa.
Reflect your happiness every time they successfully use the litter box. Give them their favorite treat. This will induce them to maintain positive behavior in anticipation of a treat.
Do not take occasional accidents very seriously
Let us bear in mind one small fact – humans too take some time to get used to a new process.
Here, we are talking of animals. Yes, your ferret may be a member of your family. Nevertheless, it will be futile on your part to expect 100 percent results from them out-rightly.
Even if there are some occasional accidents here and there, show them how much you care for them by picking them up gently.
Adopt a training method that addresses your requirements and expectations
Each ferret is different from another. Each has its personality and capabilities. What might be a simple task to one, may take a little longer for another.
Irrespective of their personalities, you can always opt for a method that you prefer.
Rise and Shine method: You can employ the “Rise and Shine” method. Get the most out of this method by following some basic and simple steps, including:
- Ensure to wake up your ferret when it is still in its hammock.
- Place it physically in the cage litter box.
- The moment he performs this job, reward them with a treat.
- Follow these steps several times in a day.
- Continue the routine for a week without any failure.
Slowly and steadily your ferret will get used to the routine. Thereafter, it will automatically relieve itself before moving out of the enclosure or cage. What starts as a routine affair, becomes a natural thing to do!
Praise and Adulation method: You can even use the “Praise and Adulation” method. In this method, you have to take a certain and quick step. For instance, the moment you see them using the litter box, shower some praise. Of course, by both verbally and giving some treats. The rule of the same is simple – as your ferret starts having a good litter box experience, the lesser troubles you will have managing it.
Ferrets are very intelligent. They are recognized for being excellent learners.
Litter training them will not be a herculean task for you. Take the pain of imparting the training for about a week.
Your efforts are going to yield rich dividends in the long run.
After all, hard work pays off! Your training will enable you to buy your peace of mind surrounding the litter box and how your ferret uses it brilliantly.